[Web-SIG] PEP 444 Goals

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 00:14:16 CET 2011

One other comment about HTTP/1.1 features.

You will always be battling to have some HTTP/1.1 features work in a
controllable way. This is because WSGI gateways/adapters aren't often
directly interfacing with the raw HTTP layer, but with FASTCGI, SCGI,
AJP, CGI etc. In this sort of situation you are at the mercy of what
the modules implementing those protocols do, or even are hamstrung by
how those protocols work.

The classic example is 100-continue processing. This simply cannot
work end to end across FASTCGI, SCGI, AJP, CGI and other WSGI hosting
mechanisms where proxying is performed as the protocol being used
doesn't implement a notion of end to end signalling in respect of
100-continue.

The current WSGI specification acknowledges that by saying:

"""
Servers and gateways that implement HTTP 1.1 must provide transparent
support for HTTP 1.1's "expect/continue" mechanism. This may be done
in any of several ways:

* Respond to requests containing an Expect: 100-continue request with
an immediate "100 Continue" response, and proceed normally.
* Proceed with the request normally, but provide the application with
a wsgi.input stream that will send the "100 Continue" response if/when
the application first attempts to read from the input stream. The read
request must then remain blocked until the client responds.
* Wait until the client decides that the server does not support
expect/continue, and sends the request body on its own. (This is
suboptimal, and is not recommended.)
"""

If you are going to try and push for full visibility of HTTP/1.1 and
an ability to control it at the application level then you will fail
with 100-continue to start with.

So, although option 2 above would be the most ideal and is giving the
application control, specifically the ability to send an error
response based on request headers alone, and with reading the response
and triggering the 100-continue, it isn't practical to require it, as
the majority of hosting mechanisms for WSGI wouldn't even be able to
implement it that way.

The same goes for any other feature, there is no point mandating a
feature that can only be realistically implementing on a minority of
implementations. This would be even worse where dependence on such a
feature would mean that the WSGI application would no longer be
portable to another WSGI server and destroys the notion that WSGI
provides a portable interface.

This isn't just restricted to HTTP/1.1 features either, but also
applies to raw SCRIPT_NAME and PATH_INFO as well. Only WSGI servers
that are directly hooked into the URL parsing of the base HTTP server
can provide that information, which basically means that only pure
Python HTTP/WSGI servers are likely able to provide it without
guessing, and in that case such servers usually are always used where
WSGI application mounted at root anyway.

Graham