[Web-SIG] PEP 444 Goals

Alice Bevan–McGregor alice at gothcandy.com
Thu Jan 6 22:56:09 CET 2011

On 2011-01-06 13:06:36 -0800, James Y Knight said:

> On Jan 6, 2011, at 3:52 PM, Alice Bevan–McGregor wrote:
>> :: Making optional (and thus rarely-implemented) features non-optional.
>> E.g. server support for HTTP/1.1 with clarifications for interfacing
>> applications to 1.1 servers.  Thus pipelining, chunked encoding, et.
>> al. as per the HTTP 1.1 RFC.
>
> Requirements on the HTTP compliance of the server don't really have any
> place in the WSGI spec. You should be able to be WSGI compliant even if
> you don't use the HTTP transport at all (e.g. maybe you just send
> around requests via SCGI).
> The original spec got this right: chunking etc are something which is
> not relevant to the wsgi application code -- it is up to the server to
> implement the HTTP transport according to the HTTP spec, if it's
> purporting to be an HTTP server.

Chunking is actually quite relevant to the specification, as WSGI and
PEP 444 / WSGI 2 (damn, that's getting tedious to keep dual-typing ;)
allow for chunked bodies regardless of higher-level support for
chunking.  The body iterator.  Previously you /had/ to define a length,
with chunked encoding at the server level, you don't.

I agree, however, that not all gateways will be able to implement the
relevant HTTP/1.1 features.  FastCGI does, SCGI after a quick Google
search, seems to support it as well. I should re-word it as:

"For those servers capable of HTTP/1.1 features the implementation of
such features is required."

+1

	- Alice.