[Web-SIG] PEP 444 / WSGI 2 Async

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Jan 6 15:07:52 CET 2011

At 01:03 PM 1/6/2011 +0000, chris.dent at gmail.com wrote:
>Does that apply here? It seems you either allow unicode strings or you
>don't, not a certain subsection.

That's why PEP 3333 requires bytes instead - only the application
knows what it's sending, and the server and middleware shouldn't have to guess.

>My general rule is unicode inside, UTF-8 at the boundaries.

Which would be easy to enforce if you can only yield bytes, as is the
case with PEP 3333.

I worry a bit that right now, there may be Python 3.2 servers (other
than the ones built on wsgiref.handlers) that may not be enforcing
this rule yet.