[Web-SIG] PEP 444 != WSGI 2.0

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sun Jan 2 22:31:45 CET 2011

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 12:55 PM, Masklinn <masklinn at masklinn.net> wrote:

> we reach some sort of technical impasse it doesn't address.
> > Async is one area that 3333 does not cover, and that by not having a
> standard which incorporates async means competing, incompatible solutions
> have been created.
> >
> If I remember the previous Web3 discussion correctly, the result was
> basically that async has no business being shoehorned in WSGI, that WSGI's
> model is fundamentally unfit for async and you can't correctly support sync
> and async with the same spec, and therefore an asynchronous equivalent to
> WSGI should be developed separately, in order to correctly match the needs
> of asynchronous servers and interfaces, without the cruft and inadequacies
> of being forked from a synchronous gateway model.

Masklinn, those are pretty strong words (bordering on offensive). I'm sure
Alice has a different opinion. Alice, hopefully you can write down your
ideas for all to see? Perhaps you have an implementation too? Maybe seeing a
concrete proposal will help us all see how big or small of a shoehorn will
be needed.

(Just trying to keep this thread from degenerating into a shouting match.)

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)