[Web-SIG] Backup plan: WSGI 1 Addenda and wsgiref update for Py3

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Sep 21 19:17:55 CEST 2010

[trimming reply headers to just web-sig]

At 12:57 PM 9/21/2010 -0400, Ian Bicking wrote:
>On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 12:09 PM, P.J. Eby
><<mailto:pje at telecommunity.com>pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
>The Python 3 specific changes are to use:
>
>* ``bytes`` for I/O streams in both directions
>* ``str`` for environ keys and values
>* ``bytes`` for arguments to start_response() and write()
>

>This is the only thing that seems odd to me -- it seems like the
>response should be symmetric with the request, and the request in
>this case uses str for headers (status being header-like), and bytes
>for the body.

Are you suggesting a "``str`` for headers, ``bytes`` for bodies"
approach instead?

I suppose that could work; I was going for "str in, bytes out".  My
assumption, though, was that headers are relatively easy to address
at a choke point from a framework's output.  But I guess that
iterator output is equally chokable.

I'm open to discussion on this point, so long as every value produced
or consumed by a WSGI application is of a specified single type().

>Otherwise this seems good to me, the only other major errata I can
>think of are all listed in the links you included.

Um, if by "links" you mean, "included textually in the proposal",
then sure.  If it's not in the proposal, it's not going in the PEP,
even if it's on the WSGI Amendments page or Graham's blog.