[Web-SIG] PEP 444 (aka Web3)

Robert Brewer fumanchu at aminus.org
Mon Sep 20 17:19:32 CEST 2010

> On Sun, 2010-09-19 at 21:52 -0400, Chris McDonough wrote:
>
> > I'm -0 on the server trying to guess the Content-Length header.  It
> just
> > doesn't seem like much of a burden to place on an application and
> it's
> > easier to specify that an application must do this than it is to
> specify
> > how a server should behave in the face of a missing Content-Length.
> > also believe Graham has argued against making the server guess, I
> > presume this causes him some pain somehow (probably
> underspecification
> > in WSGI).
>
> Graham's issues with requiring the server to set Content-Length are
> detailed here:
>
> http://blog.dscpl.com.au/2009/10/wsgi-issues-with-http-head-
> requests.html

Chris,

Thanks for that link. I had completely forgotten about that issue. I'd
really appreciate it if your web3 spec made some definitive decision on
whether applications and middleware are responsible for correctly
differentiating HEAD from GET, or whether servers should transform HEAD
to GET before invoking the first application callable. I'd personally
prefer the former.

Robert Brewer
fumanchu at aminus.org