[Web-SIG] PEP 444 (aka Web3)

Randy Syring rsyring at inteli-com.com
Thu Sep 16 21:40:36 CEST 2010

Ty Sarna wrote:
> On Sep 16, 2010, at 2:55 PM, Massimo Di Pierro wrote:
>

>>> My experience in various
>>> communities suggests that naming the new totally-bw-incompat thing the
>>> same as the old thing weakens both the new thing and the old thing,
>>>
>> I share the same experience.
>>

> Interesting. Do you feel that Python 3.x should have been named something other than Python?
>
> I think that would rather have weakened both 3.x and 2.x by suggesting a fork, placing the two in competition, when the goal was to have one supersede the other, as is also the case here.
FWIW, I agree on this point.  WSGI2  seems better than WEB3.  IMO, its
OK to put a disclaimer at the top of the spec that states they are
different specs and entirely backwards incompatible.  If there is
consensus to more away from WSGI, then I think a name other than WEB3 is
in order.  Its just too generic.

Randy Syring
Intelicom
502-644-4776