[Web-SIG] [RFC] x-wsgiorg.suspend extension

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Sat Apr 17 14:46:40 CEST 2010

Ludvig Ericson ha scritto:

I have put web-sig in Cc.

> On 11 apr 2010, at 22:07, Manlio Perillo wrote:
>
>> I here propose the x-wsgiorg.suspend to be accepted as official WSGI
>> extension, using the wsgiorg namespace.
>
> I'm sorry, but I don't see how such a solution wins out over any other stab at event-based concurrency (like gevent, eventlet, etc.)
>
> I've made a WSGI application using gevent, and then gunicorn's gevent arbiter thing. Works like a charm.

Because eventlet, gevent and friends works *because* they have full
control over the event loop, and they can use greenlets as they like.

This is not possible with implementations like txwsgi (Twisted) and
ngx_http_wsgi_module (Nginx).

eventlet has support for Twisted, but, as far as I can tell, it works by
running the Twisted event loop inside a greenlet.
This is of course impossible with ngx_http_wsgi_module, since it is
embedded in a web server written in C.

> I get the point in trying to standardize something, but this solution seems rather intrusive and not something I'd adopt any time soon.

Can you suggest a less intrusive extension that works with *every* WSGI
implementation?

> Nice work though!

Regards   Manlio