[Web-SIG] WSGI and start_response

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Wed Apr 14 18:53:28 CEST 2010

Dirkjan Ochtman ha scritto:
> On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 14:46, Graham Dumpleton
> <graham.dumpleton at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The last attempt was to have WSGI 1.1 as clarifications and Python 3.X.
>>
>> And when I say 'last attempt', yes there have been people who have
>> stepped up to try and get this to happen in the past. I think you
>> would be the 3rd time, excluding me in general having tried to push it
>> in the past and also given up.
>>
>> You really should perhaps look back through the archive of WEB-SIG
>> posts on Google Groups to understand the history and how this always
>> seems to just go around in circles. :-)
>
> I've been on Web-SIG for quite a while now, exactly to keep track of
> these issues.
>
> Since there doesn't seem to be much traction, I figured it would be
> time to just get a new PEP together. To limit the amount of work, I'd
> go in the direction of having a single WSGI 2.0 PEP incorporating your
> suggestions (maybe minus the number 3), everything required for Python
> 3 (as outlined by your wiki page).

If you volunteer for this task, I have some suggestions:

* target WSGI 1.1, not WSGI 2.0
* take the original WSGI 1.0 spec text
* start to integrate all changes documented by Graham
* I would really like to have changes integrates as a series of diff,
  using <del> and <ins> HTML elements.

  Unfortunately docutils seems to not have support for this, but should
  not be hard to implement. I can help.
* You should keep a separate, unofficial document, with the rationale of
  the changes.
  You can just copy the content of Graham blog post, and reformatting
  it, if this is ok for Graham
* For each of the main changea, start a thread on this mailing list
  asking for votation.
  If, after 1 week, there is no vote against it, consider it approved

If we are really going to approve WSGI 1.1, I have a request: remove the
``write`` callable.
Rationale:
* it was added in WSGI 1.0 only for compatibility
* new code does not use it
* this will force applications under development that still use the
  ``write`` callable to be fixed. See work on Mercurial
* it is very easy for current implementations to support both WSGI 1.0
  and WSGI 1.1
* legacy application will continue to work
* removing of the ``write`` callable will make middlewares more easy to
  write

Thanks  Manlio