[Web-SIG] [RFC] x-wsgiorg.suspend extension

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Tue Apr 13 10:22:00 CEST 2010

Graham Dumpleton ha scritto:
> [...]
>> Just yielding an empty string does not give the server some important
>> informations.
>>
>> As an example, with x-wsgi.suspend application can specify a timeout,
>> that tells the server that the application must be resumed before
>> timeout milliseconds have elapsed.
>>
>> And x-wsgi.suspend returns a callable that, when called, tell the server
>> to poll the app again.
>
> There are other ways of doing that, the callable doesn't need to be in
> the WSGI environment. This is because since it is single threaded, the
> WSGI server need only record in a global variable for that WSGI
> application some state about the current request. The separate
> function to note the suspension can then lookup that and does what it
> needs to. In other words, you don't need the WSGI environment to
> maintain  that relationship.

This seems completely broken, to me; do you have looked at txwsgi
implementation?

It is true that the WSGI server is single threaded, but there can be
multiple concurrent requests processed in this thread.

What happens if one request is being suspended and a new one is being
processed?
As far as I can tell, the new request will note the suspend flag set to
True, and will be suspended as well.

> Having the timeout as argument is also questionable anyway. All you
> really need to do is to tell the WSGI server that I don't want to be
> called until I tell it otherwise. The WSGI application could itself
> handle the timeout in other ways.

But I can't see the reason why this can not be done by
x-wsgiorg.suspend, since it is a very convenient interface.

> Overall one could do all of this without having to do anything in the
> WSGI environment. As PJE points out, it can be done by relying only on
> the ability to yield an empty string. Everything else can be in the
> application realm with the application normally being bound to a
> specific WSGI server/event loop implementation, thus no portability.
>

>From what I can tell, this is only possible by having a custom variable
in the WSGI environ.
But since I wrote txwsgi for precisely this reason, it should not be
hard to prove that your idea is actually possible to implement (and it
does not make implementation more complex as it should be, think about
an implementation written in C).

> The problem of a middleware not passing through an empty string
> doesn't even need to be an issue in as much as the application could
> track when it requested to be suspended and if called into again
> before the required criteria had been met, it could detect a
> middleware that wasn't playing by the rules and at least raise an
> error rather than potentially go into blocking state and tight loop.

Yes.
This is something that can be done by an implementation.
Currently txwsgi only checks for suspend flag when an empty string is
yielded by application.

> One could theoretically abstract out an interface for a generic event
> system, but what you don't want is a general purpose one. You want one
> which is specifically associated with the concept of a WSGI server.

Why?
This is not required at all.

> That way the API for it can expose methods which specifically relate
> to stuff like suspension of calling into the WSGI application for data
> until specific events occur.

The event API just needs to deal with events, using callbacks to report
data to application.

Please, see the demo_getpage_green.py example, in txwsgi.

> [...]

Regards  Manlio