[Web-SIG] [RFC] x-wsgiorg.suspend extension

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Apr 12 16:26:39 CEST 2010

At 01:25 PM 4/12/2010 +0200, Manlio Perillo wrote:
>The purpose of the extension if to just have a standard interface that
>WSGI applications can use to take advantage of the possibility, offered
>by asynchronous server, to suspend execution and resume it later.

WSGI has this ability now - it's yielding an empty string.  Yielding
an empty string is a hint to the server that the application is not
ready to send any output, and the server is free to schedule other
applications next.  And WSGI does not require the application to be
rescheduled any time soon.

In other words, if saying "don't call me for a while" is the purpose
of the extension, it is not needed.  As Graham says, the thing that
would actually be needed is a way to tell the server when to poll the
app again.