[Web-SIG] Request for Comments on upcoming WSGI Changes

Armin Ronacher armin.ronacher at active-4.com
Tue Sep 22 11:28:59 CEST 2009

Hi,

Alan Kennedy schrieb:
> 2. Give the programmer (possibly mojibake) unicode strings in the WSGI
> environ anyway
> 3. And let them solve their problems themselves, using server
> configuration or bespoke middleware
Because that problem was solved a long ago in applications themselves.
Webob, Werkzeug, Paste, Pylons, Django, you name it, all are operating
on unicode.  And the way they do that is straightforward.

Now currently what we have to do on Python 3 is to encode the data again
and decode it with the target charset.  Unnecessary roundtrips that just
slow the whole thing down.  What for?

Regards,
Armin