[Web-SIG] Request for Comments on upcoming WSGI Changes

Armin Ronacher armin.ronacher at active-4.com
Tue Sep 22 10:16:30 CEST 2009

Hi,

Ian Bicking schrieb:
> Request headers, which you didn't split out... those I'm not sure.  I'd
> *like* them to be native.  But damn, I'm just not sure quite how.
> surrogateescape?  Latin1?  Latin1 as a kind of poor man's surrogateescape
> isn't so bad.  And the headers *should* be ASCII for sane requests, so it's
> not a horrible compromise.
Except for cookie headers.  Thanks to advertising and all the other
system putting headers on your page you can't even properly control that
one.

Another thing to consider: in Python 3.1, the HTTP server internally
decodes to latin1 and there is no simple way to change that, unless you
replace the implementation.

> Ugh.  wsgi.input could remain.  I think at least it should become a
> file-like interface (i.e., giving an empty string when the content is
> exausted) and I might even ask that it implement .tell() (.seek() would be
> nice of course, but optional).  If there was some other idea, I think
> there's room for improvement on wsgi.input and the file interface.
-1 on seek and tell.  This could be impossible to implement and what we
really want to do is to not have the data in memory but on disk or
whereever you put big-ass uploads.  Also it will be hard to test for an
avaiable seek or not, because even if it's a noop, the method could be
there.

Regards,
Armin