[Web-SIG] Request for Comments on upcoming WSGI Changes

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 06:49:36 CEST 2009

2009/9/22 P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com>:
> At 07:21 PM 9/21/2009 -0700, Robert Brewer wrote:
>>
>> I've never proposed that WSGI make choices for people. I'm simply saying
>> that a configurable server, with a sane, perfectly-reversible default, is
>> the simplest thing that could possibly work.
>
> Actually, latin-1 bytes encoding is the *simplest* thing that could possibly
> work, since it works already in e.g. Jython, and is actually in the spec
> already...

Except to the extent I originally pointed out, that comparing Jython
to Python 3.0 isn't necessarily appropriate because Python 3.0 ended
up with its own bytes type. :-)

Ignoring that, I still seem some validity in it given that the
complaints originally made by people that they wanted bytes everywhere
still were before they realised how much of a pain bytes were. For
example, Armin has turned right around now and accepts that bytes
isn't going to work. Armin's starting point though was the proposal of
trying to be smart about encoding to try and satisfy the bytes
everywhere camps concerns. Thus he was looking more at the issues
arounds wsgi.uri_encoding and how to make that work, rather than
perhaps whether it was strictly needed and whether latin-1 would work
fine.

>  and any framework that wants unicode URIs already has to decode
> them, so the code is already written.

Graham