[Web-SIG] Request for Comments on upcoming WSGI Changes

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Mon Sep 21 19:37:30 CEST 2009

René Dudfield schrieb:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 4:27 PM, James Bennett <ubernostrum-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 10:19 AM, P.J. Eby <pje-Wh6+Hckhi6HFNGf7iClzIwC/G2K4zDHf at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>> +1.  I'd really rather not have the spec dictated by the need to work around
>>> problems in the stdlib or language definition.  Better to fix them ASAP.
>>
>> This is a *Python* web server gateway interface, yes? Fixing stdlib
>> bugs is fine, but asking for the language to change just to make
>> gateway interfaces a bit easier to write seems a bit much; I'd hope we
>> can take Python the language as granted, and work from there.
>>

> Hi,
>
> I mostly agree...  However, python3.x changes are still up for
> grabs... so if there's a good enough reason, now is the time to ask
> for changes.

That stage has already passed.  It was true before 3.0, and even before
3.1.  Now that 3.1 is out and labeled stable, the same backward-compatibility
conventions as for 2.x are in effect; you will find much opposition on
python-dev for such changes.  That does not mean that no change is possible
in 3.x, but that was also never the case for 2.x.  Compatible changes are ok,
and so are changes that undergo the proper deprecation process.

Georg