[Web-SIG] WSGI Open Space @ PyCon.

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 22:33:07 CET 2009

2009/3/28 Alan Kennedy <alan at xhaus.com>:
> Dear all,
>
> For those of you at PyCon, there is a WSGI Open Space @ 5pm today (Friday).
>
> The sub-title of the open space is "Does WSGI need revision"?
>
> An example: Philip Jenvey (http://dunderboss.blogspot.com/) raised the
> need for something akin to what Java folks call "Lifecycle methods",
> so that WSGI apps can do initialization and finalization.
>
> http://java.sun.com/j2ee/tutorial/1_3-fcs/doc/Servlets4.html
>
> I'm sure there are plenty of other topics that could be discussed as well.
>
> See you @5pm.

Please, whatever you do, do not go making anything like this, or even
a standard request/response object a part of the WSGI standard.

Create a new specification for this 'application level' stuff which is
distinct from WSGI and leave WSGI as being the 'server gateway
interface' as it is really meant to be.

This should go as far as coming up with a better middleware
abstraction for the application layer and discouraging people from
using WSGI middleware as they exist now.

All these new components, although the reference implementation may
host on top of WSGI, should other wise hide WSGI thereby allowing them
to be hosted on top of an alternate interface or a newer revision of
WSGI, such as the minimal revision talked about for WSGI 2.0.

If this stuff is all pushed into the WSGI specification then it will
be a backward step as far as improving the situation for Python as far
as web hosting availability.

I have been trying to put together a blog entry saying just this and
other things about the role of WSGI, but just haven't had the time.
Since sprint almost starting, probably will not get a chance now.

Graham