[Web-SIG] Python hosting (was Re: [Distutils] "setup.py needs to go away" (was [PEP 376] - Open questions on python-dev))

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sat Jul 11 13:05:22 CEST 2009

On Jul 11, 2009, at 5:58 AM, David Lyon wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 10:02:39 -0400, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
>> I was really just pointing out that there isn't
>> anything special about web developers.  Really the need relates to
>> application development.  That is, web application developer's needs
>> aren't really different from other application developers' needs.
>
> Just for my own education..
>
> Why is there so many problems with python hosting? What I mean
> is that any linux host that can run python should be able to
> do web hosting easily. Say like run zope/plone.
>
> Is this due to difficulties in getting packages onto a web host?
>
> What could be done in an ideal world to make it a snap to
> run zope on my cheapy linux web hosting service (that already
> has python)?

The primary problem is that most web applications require long-running
processes and low-cost hosting providers don't let you run your own
long-running processes.  My impression is that not many low-cost
providers support mod_python or that perhaps perhaps it's not easy to
integrate with mod_python in those environments.  I personally haven't
tried to run Zope on low-cost hosting providers.

Lots of people are gravitating to Google App Engine, including Zope
developers.  Zope itself is a bit too heavy for GAE, but lots of Zope
developers are building lighter applications using Zope (and non-Zope)
components. Lots of other frameworks work with GAE.

Of course, there are lots of relatively low cost (~$20/mo) co-lo
providers that give you a VM you can run anything on. I don't think
there're any problems running Zope in those environments.

Maybe others here can add more.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton