[Web-SIG] Move to bless Graham's WSGI 1.1 as official spec

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Fri Dec 4 21:09:35 CET 2009

Henry Precheur ha scritto:
> On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 07:40:55PM +0100, Manlio Perillo wrote:
>> What are the functions that does not works with byte strings?
>
> Just to make things clear, I was talking about Python 3.

I know.

Unfortunately I don't have installed Python 3, I'm just reading the code.

> All the functions I tried not ending with _from_bytes raise an exception
> with bytes. This includes urllib.parse.parse_qs & urllib.parse.urlparse
> which are rather critical ...

Ah, ok.
Can you show me the traceback of parse_qs? Thanks.

>> First of all, HTTP never says that whole headers are of type TEXT.
>> Only specific components are of type TEXT.
>
> If parts of a header contain latin-1 characters, that means its
> encoding is latin-1 (at least partially).

This is not completely true.

> [...]

> And WSGI is not about HTTP in a distant future, it's about HTTP right
> now.
>
>> Do you really want to define the new WSGI specification to be "against"
>> the new (possible) HTTP spec?
>
> I don't know why it would be "against" it.

Well, I have quoted it for this reason.
What I mean is that, IMHO:

- Using Unicode strings in WSGI is an abuse of Unicode string
- This abuse is not justified by the HTTP spec

> [...]

Regards  Manlio