[Web-SIG] WSGI 2

André Malo nd at perlig.de
Tue Aug 4 20:34:56 CEST 2009

* Graham Dumpleton wrote:

> Now, the reason why Apache can't really handle anything besides UTF-8
> relates to how filenames are encoded in the file system.
>
> Taking Windows first as it is the more obvious case. What Apache does
> there is take whatever path it has mapping to a script file, be it
> constructed partially from what is in Apache configuration and
> partially from what was supplied in URL from client, and converts it
> to UCS2 for passing to Windows file system routines. In converting to
> UCS2, Apache assumes that the path will be UTF-8. This means that the
> Apache configuration file has to be UTF-8 and that the URL as supplied
> by the client is UTF-8 as well after any URL character encoding is
> decoded. End result, can only handle UTF-8.

This is the only platform where the apache does that, actually, because it
doesn't work any other way on windows (everything is passed to the system
as ucs-2). So I wouldn't call that "apache requires utf-8 everywhere". If I
would care, I would even make it configurable on windows, but I don't ;)

[...]

nd