[Web-SIG] Python 3.0 and WSGI 1.0.

Sergey Schetinin maluke at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 01:28:23 CEST 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 02:03, Graham Dumpleton
<graham.dumpleton at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/4/17 James Y Knight <foom at fuhm.net>:
>> On Apr 16, 2009, at 3:12 AM, Graham Dumpleton wrote:
>>>
>>> I am not sure we ended up with a final answer on all of this, but I
>>> don't want to hold up mod_wsgi 3.0, which includes Python 3.0 support,
>>> any longer. As such, am implementing things as per:
>>>
>>>  http://www.wsgi.org/wsgi/Amendments_1.0
>>>
>>> with exception that will not be attempting to do decoding per RFC
>>> 2047. Any CGI variables not related to HTTP headers will also be
>>> handled as latin-1, including SCRIPT_NAME, PATH_INFO and QUERY_STRING.
>>> This should be equivalent with what wsgiref does in Python 3.X and
>>> basically keeps the status quo.
>>>
>>> If anyone has any last things to say on all of this, please speak up now.
>>

>> IMO it would make more sense to have the headers be bytes instead of strings
>> decoded/encoded with latin-1, but it's not a huge deal...
>
> It is a huge deal in as much as we don't use any sort of formal voting
> process here and for better or worse, rely on consensus. If there is
> anyone who has countering views and we don't as a group come up with
> some formal statement about how things should be done, then it makes
> it very hard for the likes of Robert and myself who need to implement
> the thing. So, we need to deal with the different views people have
> and balance them up and make a decision. Until I feel there is some
> sort of official decision one way or another, I can't release any
> code.

+1 to Amendments.
I work with WSGI quite a lot and have a server implementation as well
(experimental trellis-based server w/ async app extensions), while I
don't plan to use 3.x branch anytime soon, all the amendments make
perfect sense to me. I did encounter user-agents that send HTTP path
encoded in cp1251 for example, but I don't think that it's a good idea
to keep environ values as bytes and expect WSGI apps to sort out the
mess. The U-A that sent the broken path seemed to be some sort of
spider, so it's not like one would be losing visitors due to this.