[Web-SIG] Python 3: Form data encoding issues in cgi and urllib modules

Miles Kaufmann milesck at umich.edu
Sun Apr 12 03:41:51 CEST 2009

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 8:48 PM, Miles Kaufmann wrote:
> It's possible that the email.mime and http packages might also need
> some changes made, but I haven't looked into those as much.

Apparently there's been some discussion on the python-dev and
email-sig lists in the past couple of days since I last checked, about
the email package and strings and bytes.  So it might be the case that
the cgi module will build on top of those decisions.  But I want to
make sure that the cgi module isn't left behind, and I think that
having FieldStorage being built from string streams instead of byte
streams is a mistake that should be rectified ASAP.

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 12:35 PM, Bill Janssen wrote [1]:
> Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
>> In that case, we really need the
>> bytes-in-bytes-out-bytes-in-the-chewy-
>> center API first, and build things on top of that.
>
> Yep.

-Miles Kaufmann

[1] http://mail.python.org/pipermail/email-sig/2009-April/000438.html