[Web-SIG] Proposal for asynchronous WSGI variant

Christopher Stawarz cstawarz at csail.mit.edu
Thu May 8 07:49:42 CEST 2008

On May 7, 2008, at 10:59 PM, Christopher Stawarz wrote:

> However, the problem remains that, even though an asynchronous
> server can implement the write() callable and wsgi.input as required
> by the WSGI spec, they effectively can't be used by applications,
> since they involve potentially blocking I/O operations.  So either
> WSGI has to be revised to take the needs of asynchronous servers
> into account, or we have to accept that async servers can never be
> fully WSGI compliant.

Maybe this isn't as big a deal as I'm making it.  The point of the
async extensions is to make it possible for WSGI apps to run
effectively on asynchronous servers.  Apps that use the extensions
won't use write() or wsgi.input, so it really doesn't matter whether
they're blocking or not.

Although apps that don't use the async extensions *could* be run on an
asynchronous server (by using wsgi.input in a blocking fashion), doing
so would mean that the server could effectively handle only one
request at a time (i.e. serially).  If this were unacceptable (which
it most likely would be), then you just wouldn't do it.  Better to use
mod_wsgi or some other server that can run your app effectively.

So I guess the only issue is that authors of asynchronous servers who
want to comply fully with the WSGI spec have to implement
functionality (write() and wsgi.input) that can't be used without
severely degrading the server's performance.  But that's an issue that
server authors can address as they see fit, not something that the
WSGI spec needs to account for.

Thanks to everyone who has provided input so far -- please keep the
comments coming!  I'm going to work on another draft of my proposal
that takes into account what we've discussed and will post it here
when it's done.

Chris