[Web-SIG] Proposal for asynchronous WSGI variant

Ionel Maries Cristian ionel.mc at gmail.com
Wed May 7 23:36:56 CEST 2008

 On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 10:00 PM, Christopher Stawarz <
cstawarz at csail.mit.edu> wrote:

> On May 6, 2008, at 8:51 PM, Ionel Maries Cristian wrote:
>
> > - there is no support for chunked input - that would require having
> > support for readline in the first place,
> >
> Why is readline a requirement for chunked input?  Each chunk specifies its
> size, and the application receiving a chunk just keeps calling recv() until
> it's read the specified number of bytes.

Well, not really a requirement, i was implying there is some sort of
readline since that is what one would generaly use some sort of realine to
get the size of a chunk - but not necessarily.

> [...]

> > some filter to the appiter - you'll have your code full of isinstance
> > nastiness)
> >
> Yes, my proposal would require existing middleware to be modified to
> support AWSGI, which is unfortunate.
>
> > Also, have you looked at the existing gateway implementations with
> > asynchronous support? There are a bunch of them:
> > http://trac.wiretooth.com/public/wiki/asycwsgi
> > http://chiral.j4cbo.com/trac
> > http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Eventlet
> > my own shot at the problem: http://code.google.com/p/cogen/
> > and manlio's mod_wsgi for nginx
> > (I may be missing some)
> >
> I've seen some of these, but I'll be sure to take a look at the others.
>
> > [*1]In my implementation i do a bunch of tricks to make use of regular
> > wsgi middleware with async apps possible - i have a bunch of working
> > examples using pylons:  - the extensions in the environ (like your
> > environ['awsgi.readable']) return a empty string that penetrates most[*2]
> > middleware and set the actual message (like your (token, fd, timeout) tuple
> > on some internal object)
> > From this point of view, an async middleware stack is just a set of
> > middleware that supports streaming.
> >
> This is an interesting idea that I'd like to explore some more.  I really
> like the fact that it works with existing middleware (or at least fully
> WSGI-compliant middleware, as you point out).
> Apart from the write() callable, the biggest issue I see with the WSGI
> spec for asynchronous servers is wsgi.input.  The problem is that this is
> explicitly a file-like object.  This means that input.read(n) reads until it
> finds n bytes or EOF, input.readline() reads until it finds a newline or
> EOF, and input.readlines() and input.__iter__() always read to EOF.  Every
> one of these functions implies multiple I/O operations (calls to fread() for
> a file or recv() for a socket).
>  This means that if an application calls input.read(8), and only 4 bytes
> are available, the first call to recv() returns 4 bytes, and the second one
> blocks.  And now your entire server is blocked until data is available on
> this one socket.   (Of course, the server is free to pre-read the entire
> request at its leisure and feed it to the application from a buffer, but
> this may not always be practical or desirable, and I don't think
> asynchronous servers should be forced to do so.)
>  This is why I propose replacing wsgi.input with awsgi.input, which
> exposes a recv() method with socket-like (rather than file-like) semantics.
>  The meaning of input.recv(n) is therefore "read at most n bytes (possibly
> less), calling the underlying socket recv() at most one time".
>  So, although your suggestion may eliminate the need to yield non-string
> output from the application iterable, I still think there needs to be a
> separate specification for asynchronous gateways, since the semantics of
> wsgi.input just aren't compatible with an asynchronous model.

The way I see it asynchronous wsgi is just a matter of deciding how to
handle the input asynchronously - a asynchronous input wsgi extension
specification.
So I suggest completely dropping the idea of a incompatibility between
async_wsgi and wsgi (since it doesn't help anyone in the long run really -
it just fragments the gateway providers and overcomplicate things) and
concentrate more on the async input extension.

So the idea is that the gateways would provide async input by default and a
piece of middleware or config option to make it synchronous (well, actually,
buffer it).

Also, since there already are a bunch of async gateways out there I would
like to hear if the other providers would/could implement the proposed form
of common async input - that would ultimately decide the success of this
proposed spec.

 --
http://ionelmc.wordpress.com