[Web-SIG] Proposal for asynchronous WSGI variant

Ionel Maries Cristian ionel.mc at gmail.com
Wed May 7 02:51:13 CEST 2008

This is a very interesting initiative.

However there are few problems:
- there is no support for chunked input - that would require having support
for readline in the first place, also, it should be the gateway's business
decoding the chunked input.
- the original wsgi spec somewhat has some support for streaming and
asynchronicity [*1]
- i don't see how removing the write callable will help (i don't see a issue
having the server providing a stringio.write as the write callable for
synchronous apps)
- passing nonstring values though middleware will make using/porting
existing wsgi middleware hairy (suppose you have a middleware that applies
some filter to the appiter - you'll have your code full of isinstance
nastiness)

Also, have you looked at the existing gateway implementations with
asynchronous support?
There are a bunch of them:
http://trac.wiretooth.com/public/wiki/asycwsgi
http://chiral.j4cbo.com/trac
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Eventlet
my own shot at the problem: http://code.google.com/p/cogen/
and manlio's mod_wsgi for nginx
(I may be missing some)

However there is absolutely no unity in handling the wsgi.input (or
equivalent)

[*1]In my implementation i do a bunch of tricks to make use of regular wsgi
middleware with async apps possible - i have a bunch of working examples
using pylons:
 - the extensions in the environ (like your environ['awsgi.readable'])
return a empty string that penetrates most[*2] middleware and set the actual
message (like your (token, fd, timeout) tuple on some internal object)
>From this point of view, an async middleware stack is just a set of
middleware that supports streaming.

Please see:
 http://cogen.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/docs/cogen.web.async.html
http://cogen.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/docs/cogen.web.wsgi.html

[*2] middleware that consume the app iter ruin that pattern, but regardless,
they are not compliant to the wsgi spec (see
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0333/#middleware-handling-of-block-boundaries
)
- notable examples are most of the exception handling middleware (they can't
work otherwise anyway)

http://ionelmc.wordpress.com