[Web-SIG] Time a for JSON parser in the standard library?

Deron Meranda deron.meranda at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 21:09:16 CET 2008

(I just joined this list, so this reponse may not be threaded properly)

With regards to JSON libraries, most of them I've looked at are very
far away from implementing RFC 4627.  For many uses this might
not be a big deal, but for anything going into the Python standard
library it is much more important.

I've just released a new version of my own library (demjson) which is
on PyPI, or at http://deron.meranda.us/python/demjson/
I wrote this one to attempt to be as strictly conforming to the RFC as
I could make it.

My latest version also comes with a lint-like script which can validate
JSON data.  It should handle all of the Unicode issues too.  I've also
made it very fast (for a pure Python implementation), and comes
close some of the C implementation; while still being RFC strict.

Right now its under the GPL 3; but if anybody wanted to
consider it for inclusion (or a derivative of it), I would be
agreeable to a more Pythonic license change.

The big issue I've not yet addressed at this time is Python 3000
support.  Mainly because the semantics of dealing with JSON
data necessarily should change to reflect the new bytes type.
--
Deron Meranda