[Web-SIG] Time a for JSON parser in the standard library?

Mark Ramm mark.mchristensen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 03:51:06 CET 2008

>  Well, so fix this. How hard can it be?

A google search for "jsonlib rfc"  turns up this article:

http://jmillikin.blogspot.com/2008/02/python-json-catastrophe.html

And it looks like the two issues with simplejson are:

1) decoding JSON with unicode code-points outside the Basic Multilingual Plane
2) Decoding the json 1.1 as a python float rather than a decimal

I think the author could very well be incorrect in believing that the
spec requires using a decimal, so that just leaves the Unicode issue,
which isn't very clearly defined in the article, but ought to be
reasonably easy to fix.

The spec isn't as clear as it could be about a lot of issues, but I've
had no problems with simplejson and interoperability with the various
javascript libraries.   I've also used simplejson with one or two of
the ruby json libraries, flex's json lib, and a couple of libraries
for other languages, with no particular issues.   That's not to say
there are no bugs, but I don't think there are too many issues buried
in there.

--Mark