[Web-SIG] ngx.poll extension (was Re: Are you going to convert Pylons code into Python 3000?)

Lawrence Oluyede l.oluyede at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 12:03:48 CET 2008

>  No, you are wrong.
>  WSGI *allows* an implementation to develope extensions.
>
>  I'm complaining that WSGI 2.0 will break support for truly-async web apps.

Correct me if I'm wrong. WSGI is great on paper and almost great in
daily use. One of this peculiarities in the "middleware extension
pattern", which has to foster reuse and spread of middleware doing (I
hope) one thing and doing right. AFAIK most of the middleware out
there are not written thinking about async at all. I don't see Twisted
developers crying out loud begging people to write async middlewares
and never block.

Don't take it the wrong way but what's the point in fighting so hard
for WSGI when there's plenty of ways to just ignore it?

I know that my statement will upset someone but I think the idea of
two separate web standard is great. It's too late to force in async in
the WSGI world and you, with your twisted expertise, should now that
writing async is hard and asking everyone to not block is even harder
(that's why even Twisted Matrix has callInThread and something like
that).