[Web-SIG] Are you going to convert Pylons code into Python 3000?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Wed Mar 5 00:17:40 CET 2008

Hey,

On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 12:05 AM, Graham Dumpleton
<Graham.Dumpleton at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
>  Personally I believe that WSGI 1.0 should die along with Python 2.X. I
>  believe that WSGI 2.0 should be developed to replace it and the
>  introduction of Python 3.0 would be a great time to do that given that
>  people are going to have to change their code anyway and that code
>  isn't then likely to be backward compatible with Python 2.X.

I think lots of Python projects reason this way: Python 3 transition
is the right time to break backwards compatibility in our
library/framework. It's understandable.

Unfortunately this means that for people adjusting their code, they
won't just have to deal with the large Python 3 transition, but also
with lots of their frameworks and libraries making
backwards-incompatible changes. That's unfortunate, as that means any
automatic conversion strategy using the py2to3 script won't be
possible, and there won't be any way to keep libraries in transition
working in both Python 2 and 3 for a while (which is Guido's plan), as
their dependencies don't support it.

Regards,

Martijn