[Web-SIG] parsing of urlencoded data and Unicode

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Mon Jul 28 20:48:35 CEST 2008

Hi.

In my WSGI framework:
http://hg.mperillo.ath.cx/wsgix

I have, in the `http` module, the functions `parse_query_string` and
`parse_simple_post_data`.

The first parse the query string and return a dictionary of strings, the
latter parse the application/x-www-form-urlencoded client body and
return a dictionary of strings and the charset used by the client for
the unicode encoding.

Now, I'm thinking if these two function should instead return Unicode
strings instead of plain strings.

I think that Unicode strings should be returned, but I would like to
know what other web frameworks do.

Django seems to convert to Unicode, but the Python standard library does
not (and I would like to know if changes are planned for Python 3.x).

Thanks  Manlio Perillo