[Web-SIG] Fwd: wsgiref.simple_server slow on slow network

Irmen de Jong irmen at xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 23 00:21:00 CEST 2008

Tibor Arpas wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm quite new to python and I ran into a performance problem with
> wsgiref.simple_server. I'm running this little program.

[...]
> I get many hundreds of responses/second on my local computer, which is fine.
> But when I access this server through our VPN it performs very bad.

Could it be that the wsgiref is doing a reverse DNS lookup for every incoming call?
(for instance to determine the remote server hostname for some reason such as logging)
That could be a very slow operation.

Just an idea, I have no idea about the workings of wsgiref, I've just seen this
happening in other situations.

--irmen