[Web-SIG] HEAD requests, WSGI gateways, and middleware

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Thu Jan 24 20:16:55 CET 2008

I have applications that do detect the difference between a GET and a HEAD (they
do slightly less work if the request is a HEAD request), so I suspect this is
not a totally reasonable thing to add to the spec.  Maybe instead the middleware
that does what you're describing should be changed instead to deal with HEAD
requests.

In general, I don't think is (or should be) any guarantee that an arbitrary
middleware stack will work with an arbitrary application.  Although that would
be nice in theory, I suspect it would require a very complex protocol (more
complex than what WSGI requires now).

- C