[Web-SIG] URL quoting in WSGI (or the lack therof)

Luis Bruno lbruno at 100blossoms.com
Tue Jan 22 20:04:38 CET 2008

Brian Smith wrote:
> If you really want PATH_INFO to have "%2F" instead of "/", then I
> suggest encoding the slashes as "%252F" or "$2F" or something else.
> Then your application will be portable.

I need those '/'. They are the canonical hierarchical delimiters. They
are also present in some model names. So yeah, "$2F" might work. I was
originally using "!" which isn't used in any model name on my catalog.
Please don't read acquiescence into the previous phrase; thinking of
escaping escape-chars reeks of stupidity: I can't show this off to my
programmer boss, and expect him to quietly accept my judgment without
serious amount of explanation.

> PEP 333 defers the definition of PATH_INFO to the 1999 draft

True. Please keep in mind that the CGI draft also references the URI
syntax spec, which I'll read as supporting my position.

> I do depend on WSGI gateways being compliant with the WSGI specification.

We all do, which is why I'm here wasting electrons and everyone's time.

Thank you,
--
Luís Bruno