[Web-SIG] [stdlib-sig] Choosing one of two options for url* in the stdlib reorg

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Feb 29 20:52:18 CET 2008

On 2008-02-29 20:20, Brett Cannon wrote:
>>  So, I'd be +1 on the second approach, provided that those
>>  two classes make the transition into url.request as
>>  well. Otherwise, I'm +1 on the first approach and -1
>>  on the second.
>>

> Just to make sure I got this straight, as long as the two classes
> without the urllib._urlopener support from urlopen() are moved forward
> you are happy with this?

Yes.

> What about making urllib an external library people can download and
> install using distutils?

Well, removing urllib from the std lib doesn't mean that the module
is gone, but that's true for most modules in the std lib, right ?

The key argument for doing the std lib reorg - as I understand it -
was to be able to have a 2to3.py take care of changing the imports
in a script to make it work on 3.x.

If you're now suggesting to move modules out of the way with no
option to automatically port them to 3.x, then you're going far
beyond that original intent.

My main argument for keeping urllib logic in place is current
use of that module. If you look at Google code search (which only
scans OSS software and not even all of it), you get:

import urllib -urllib.py -test_urllib -urllib2
	28,800 matches

+ urllib.URLopener -FancyURLopener
	300 matches

+ urllib.FancyURLopener
        700 matches

compared to:

import urllib2 -urllib2.py -test_urllib2
	10,700 matches

+ urllib2.Opener
	300 matches

If you compare those results to searches for other modules
in the std lib, you'll find that those figures are high up
on the scale.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Feb 29 2008)