[Web-SIG] Choosing one of two options for url* in the stdlib reorg

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Feb 29 01:47:22 CET 2008

[BCC'ing stdlib-sig and web-sig so that both vote but that I don't
have to clear a bunch of replies in the stdlib-sig mailing list from
people not on both lists =) ]

With PyCon approaching and having other stuff on my plate to deal with
I want to try to reach a consensus on the whole
urllib/urllib2/urlparse situation for the stdlib reorg in Python 3.0
and get it settled.

So, two options for people to show support for.  One is to keep
everything and get cute with the naming::

  urlparse -> url.parse
  urllib -> url.fetch
  urllib2 -> url.request

The second option is to ditch urllib, move the handy quoting tools
into either their own module or into what is currently urllib2::

  urlparse -> url.parse
  urllib -> GONE
  urllib's utility functions -> url.quote
  urllib2 -> url.request

So, if you have an opinion please speak up!

-Brett