[Web-SIG] Dealing with urllib, urllib2, and urlparse

Senthil Kumaran orsenthil at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 00:08:05 CET 2008

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 4:52 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:

>  which I am liking. But I figured I would ask if there is any remote
>  chance the this SIG has plans to either merge urllib and urllib2 or
>  come up with a new module, or something before 3.0 comes out.
>  Otherwise MAL's names will probably be the suggested new names and one
>  can hope at some point one of the urllib* modules can go away.
>
>  -Brett

Sorry for pitching in late. It is good that this topic got started well.
I had submitted this task as G-SoC and went ahead with fixing bugs
with urllib2 and merging the overlapping methods.

http://svn.python.org/view/sandbox/trunk/urilib/

As you can see, I have not worked it quite a while and I have always
been "thinking" of emailing WSIG to go ahead with the project.

I would like to continue working on the same and would like to invite
other interested parties as well. Yes, with some guidance, I hope that
we can bring up the urilib (urlllib2,urllib,urlparse combined and
according latest URI Spec) before Python 3.0.

I shall have a look into httplib2 which is referenced in this thread as well.

Please let me know your comments.

Thanks,
Senthil

--