[Web-SIG] Dealing with urllib, urllib2, and urlparse

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed Feb 20 22:52:32 CET 2008

So the conundrum here is that urllib and urllib2 are both used
extensively and both have their key function named urlopen().  MAL has
suggested:

urllib -> url.fetch
urllib2 -> url.request
urlparser -> url.parse

which I am liking. But I figured I would ask if there is any remote
chance the this SIG has plans to either merge urllib and urllib2 or
come up with a new module, or something before 3.0 comes out.
Otherwise MAL's names will probably be the suggested new names and one
can hope at some point one of the urllib* modules can go away.

-Brett