[Web-SIG] Removal of Cookie in Python 3.0 OK?

Kevin Teague kevin at bud.ca
Tue Feb 5 09:49:40 CET 2008

> I think most web frameworks use setuptools at this point.  I'd rather
> get this as a distribution, rather than from the standard library.  In
> fact, I'd prefer to see all web-development libraries distributed
> separate from the language in Python 3.

Keep in mind that there are two users of the web related standard
python libraries. For web development I agree that using libraries
distributed seperately from the python standard libraries is the way
to go, but there are people who interact with the web that aren't
doing web development per se. These libraries, especially the client-
side ones, are used by people writing data processing tools, GUIs, one-
off scripts, sys-admin tools, etc. For these people they may be
perfectly happy doing all their Python needs with just the standard
library - they don't want or need to learn about packaging and
distributions when they just want to write a one-off script to pull
some data off the web and output it into CSV.

I've shown a hapless biology grad student who was going to manually
copy thousands of records from a web app into Excel how this could be
automated with a simple Python program. We ended up needing to use
cookielib since the *$#&@*! web app we were scrapping data from was a
bloated Java beast that required you to maintain session cookies (even
though they served no purpose whatsoever ...).

Trying to sort out why there was two cookie related libraries was an
annoying stumbling block though, so +1 on removing Cookie and only
keeping a re-named cookielib.