[Web-SIG] Removal of Cookie in Python 3.0 OK?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Mon Feb 4 22:21:39 CET 2008

On Feb 4, 2008 12:50 PM, Bill Janssen <janssen at parc.com> wrote:
> > I think most web frameworks use setuptools at this point.  I'd rather
> > get this as a distribution, rather than from the standard library.  In
> > fact, I'd prefer to see all web-development libraries distributed
> > separate from the language in Python 3.
>
> Jim, you want to have most things separate, if I've read your recent
> posts to the dev and 3k lists correctly.  Lean and mean Python
> distribution.  I'd agree with you if we had the infrastructure for it,
> something which would function at least as well as apt-get does,
> pulling dependencies and doing platform and version checks
> automatically.  But I don't think Python is anywhere near that level
> of infrastructure, and it's a bit of a stretch just to maintain the
> infrastructure that currently exists.  Given that, I think that moving
> functionality out of the standard library would damage Python, not
> improve it.  Given that, I'd rather see what's in the stdlib be
> updated to best-of-breed, instead of
> the-first-thing-we-thought-of-in-1995, as all too much of it is.

So would I, but there is a deadline here. This needs to all be settled
no later than this summer when 3.0 and 2.6 ship (whichever comes
first). I just don't see how best-of-breed modules can get into the
stdlib plus get deprecations going on the module all before that
happens. Plus the stdlib reorg is about removing modules that need to
go along with reorganizing what is there, not adding or replacing
anything.

Having said that, there is nothing saying the process can't start now
to get rid of cruft that is still used and happen slowly over
releases. So stuff that you guys think has been supplanted out in the
world by other modules could be deprecated starting whenever. That
makes me happy as it gives the chance for a better solution to come
in. And it would make people like Jim happy as it gives the idea of
shrinking the stdlib a chance to happen.

-Brett