[Web-SIG] reorg of web-related modules for Python 3K

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Feb 4 18:07:08 CET 2008

Bill Janssen wrote:
>> I think WSGI is a better interface than any of these.  BaseHTTPServer is
>> a reasonable basis for building a server (wsgiref.simple_server and
>> other's use it), but the subclasses are a little funky IMHO.  Giving
>> them the name http.server makes them seem like the Right Solution, and I
>> don't think they are.  They're more like server-building tools.
>
> Yes, these classes are quite old, and have been updated only patchily
> over the years.  I don't use them, either.  But I guess the question
> is whether wsgiref.* is a better _implementation_ than any of these.
> We don't really have interfaces in Python.

wsgiref.simple_server actually uses BaseHTTPServer, so the
implementations are tied.  wsgiref.simple_server is a much better API
than BaseHTTPServer.  Even then, wsgiref.simple_server isn't the only
server based on BaseHTTPServer, so it's not without some use as an
abstract base class for servers.  It's just not a useful base class for
applications.

   Ian