[Web-SIG] Keg - A python web framework

Dirk Holtwick dirk.holtwick at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 11:47:49 CEST 2008

Hi,

I also wrote a new framework called Pyxer and I am looking for help on
this. Maybe you or other members of that list are interested? It is
mainly based on the tools of Ian Bicking and fully WSGI integrated.

The new project tries also to make development for Google App Engine
(GAE) much easier by simplifying the process of creating an application,
writing it and the uploading it. Have a look here:

   http://code.google.com/p/pyxer/

More informations in the documentation:

   http://pyxer.googlecode.com/files/pyxer-0.4.0alpha.pdf

THIS IS A VERY EARLY RELEASE!

The framework not only supports GAE but also "Paster" and each other
WSGI implementation. Since my favorite templating language Genshi is not
supported on GAE I wrote my own ;) It is based on "html5lib" and does
more or less the same than Genshi or Kit does. Sessions are supported by
using "Beaker". JSON is also supported out of the box.

So what makes it special? Well this framework is not so addicted to the
MVC programming model than others. It mixes the Python files with the
template and static files. So you have all nicely together in one
directory (for now it is always called "public").

To create and start a new project just call:

$ pyxer init <somedir>
$ cd <somedir>
$ pyxer serve

The most simple "Hello World" is done by creating "public/__init__py"
and then write:

from pyxer.base import *
@controller
def index():
   return "Hello World"

That's it. If anybody is interested in helping me developing this tool I
would be very glad! It is published under the MIT License, so everything
is very liberal also for commercial use.

Hope to hear from you and get some feedback.

Thanks
Dirk