[Web-SIG] Gluon again

Massimo Di Pierro MDiPierro at cti.depaul.edu
Tue Oct 23 15:32:56 CEST 2007

You probably refer to the fact that validators and helpers are upper
case. That is because they are not functions but objects. In fact
validators have an internal state (the parameters for the validation,
the translated error messages etc.) and helpers have an internal
state (because they are aware of form they may contain, their
variables and their errors). Example

a=FORM(TABLE(TR(TD(INPUT(_name='field',requites=IS_NOT_EMPTY()))),TR
(TD(INPUT(_type='submit')))))
if a.accepts(request.vars,session): ....
if a.errors:...

At its fundamental level I tried to make Gluon similar to Django. For
two reasons. I know Django (I taught a class on Django here ad
DePaul) and I liked it but I found it has too many functions and too
many modules to remember. So I decided to follow a "convention over
configuration" approach a la RoR.
In Gluon you do not need to import Gluon's modules in your code nor
you need to explicitly call the template renderer, for example. Same
logic as Django but simpler to use I believe.

Massimo

To answer your first question: I teach computer science, mostly
numerical applications to science and finance, occasionally
networking stuff and security.
You can say I came from a C++ background. My most important work is
fermiqcd a C++ library of parallel lattice quantum chromodynamics.