[Web-SIG] WSGI 2.0

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 13:53:44 CEST 2007

On 08/10/2007, Manlio Perillo <manlio_perillo at libero.it> wrote:
> Phillip J. Eby ha scritto:
> > At 01:02 PM 10/8/2007 +0200, Manlio Perillo wrote:
> >> Supporting "legacy" and "huge" WSGI applications is not really a
> >> priority for me.
> >
> > Then you should really make it clear to your users that your Nginx
> > module does not support WSGI.  The entire point of WSGI is to allow
> > "legacy" (i.e. already-written applications) to be portable across
> > servers.  Something that doesn't run existing WSGI apps is clearly not
> > WSGI.
> >

> [Here I respond to the latest post of Graham, too.]
>
> Right, but actually nginx mod_wsgi *can* execute every WSGI application
> in a *conforming* way (I'm completing full support for WSGI 2.0, and
> after this I will implement WSGI 1.0).
>
> Of course some classes of WSGI applications runs *better* if they don't
> block the nginx process loop too much, so that nginx can serve multiple
> requests at the same time.
>
> It is simply a matter of optimized execution.

Do note that there only exists WSGI 1.0. There is no such thing as
WSGI 2.0 as yet and you shouldn't really assume that the list of
proposed ideas for discussion will actually end up producing anything
that looks like what is described. All you can really do at present is
implement WSGI 1.0, anything else is not WSGI and certainly not WSGI
2.0.

Graham