[Web-SIG] WSGI 2.0

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Oct 5 02:27:02 CEST 2007

At 07:53 PM 10/4/2007 +0200, Manlio Perillo wrote:
>Phillip J. Eby ha scritto:
> > At 06:58 PM 10/4/2007 +0200, Manlio Perillo wrote:
> >> But why you are against adding a new environ value (not necessary named
> >> wsgi.asynchronous), that will explicitly state if the WSGI server will
> >> interleave the WSGI application?
> >
> > Why do you think it's useful?
>
>For the same reason you think wsgi.multiprocess is useful.

Actually, I don't think it's all that useful; IIRC, it was added as a
compromise to the spec, to fend off a proposal for a more complex
server-capabilities API.  :)

Also, there's an important difference between your proposed addition
and the multiprocess/multithread flags, which is that there existed
frameworks that could be ported to WSGI that only supported one model
or the other.  I.e., frameworks that could only run multi-threaded,
or only multi-process.

In other words, those flags were to support legacy frameworks
detecting that they were in an incompatible hosting
environment.  However, IIUC, there is no such existing framework that
could meaningfully use the flag you're proposing, that has any real
chance of being portable to different WSGI environments.