[Web-SIG] about WSGI adoption

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Sun Nov 18 21:10:22 CET 2007

On Sun, Nov 18, 2007 at 09:03:23PM +0100, Manlio Perillo wrote:
-> Titus Brown ha scritto:
-> > ->
-> > -> However I still consider remarkable that there is not a "trac.wsgi" script.
-> > -> Can this be caused by the lack of a standardized deployment of WSGI
-> > -> applications?
-> >
-> > What would a trac.wsgi script contain?
->
-> import trac.web.main
->
-> application = trac.web.main.dispatch_request

So this is something that can be 'execfile'd, I guess...

-> > WSGI is a programming interface,
-> > not a script interface like CGI.
->
-> Right, but a WSGI server/gateway just needs a simple script to execute
-> the WSGI application.

That might be useful for some WSGI deployment techniques and less useful
for others.  For example, if you're using an SCGI-based WSGI server, you
need a command-line executable; for mod_python, you probably need an
importable module with a function; for CGI, you need a CGI script; etc.
So I think you're talking about something that is very specific to your
own deployment technique.  This is out of the scope of the WSGI
proposal, for good reasons -- there are many ways of configuring and
deploying WSGI apps and I don't know that we've settled on only one way.

Paste is an effort to standardize deployment of WSGI applications, I
think.

cheers,
--titus