[Web-SIG] [Proposal] "website" and first-level conf

Rodrigo Senra rodsenra at gpr.com.br
Fri Mar 16 15:46:56 CET 2007

|Rodrigo Senra :
|>  - multiple Zope instances sharing libraries, python modules,
|>    and Zope/Plone Products. These files might be placed out of
|>    the instance tree.
[ Chris Withers ]:
|Sometimes you want this, sometimes you don't ;-)

Indeed.

|Rodrigo Senra :
|>  - one optimization (we actually do) is to create different disk
|>    partitions. One optimized for *large* files (like logs and
|>    databases) and other for small files (like source code, libraries
|>    and config files).
[ Chris Withers ]:
|I've never seen the need myself, what measurable differences has this
|made?

I do not have quantitative results since I have done that separation
from the start. But, since there are file systems optimized for a few
large files and others for many small ones, it makes sense to trust
FS people and make use of that ;o) Nevertheless, I see your point that
without measurements it "might" no  be worth the trouble.
On the other hand, if you plan your partitons prior to any software
installation the overhead is minimal and any (unmeasured) performance
benefit if for free <0.5wink>.

|Rodrigo Senra :
|> In spite of that, I would love to keep deploys *totally*
|> self-contained. Nevertheless, I was not wise enough to workaround
|> some of the use cases presented above ;o)
[ Chris Withers ]:
|Sounds like we really need to support both...

+1

Abração,
Senra