[Web-SIG] [Proposal] "website" and first-level conf

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Mar 9 21:02:23 CET 2007

On Mar 9, 2007, at 9:26 AM, Sidnei da Silva wrote:

> On 3/9/07, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
>> On Mar 8, 2007, at 4:36 AM, Chris Withers wrote:

>> For years, people word
>> files ended up in the same directory with the word applications.
>
> I think that predates my involvement with computers, or you're
> misremembering something.

Kids these days!  I'm not misremembering.

>> If I was a windows server administrator, I would want the software
>> to be
>> separate from other artifacts.
>
> Log files are usually separate from software. For example on XP, IIS
> 5.1 logs to C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles. As you've already mentioned
> most configuration ends up on the registry. I don't see any mixing of
> software and artifacts going on.

I cleverly distracted with you with my snipe at windows. Bwahaha.

The origin of this particular point was Chris saying that he thought
single directory layouts worked for deployment on all platforms. I
suggested that a professional Windows server administrator  wouldn't
like things in one directory.  My point is that, as with Unix,
software deployed on Windows separates configuration from logging,
from software and so on.  A normal windows application doesn't keep
everything in one directory as we do on Windows.

Jim
CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org