[Web-SIG] windows, pywebd, webctl

Chad Whitacre chad at zetaweb.com
Fri Mar 9 19:22:58 CET 2007

Jim,

First, your comments re: paying attention to sysadmins are
well-taken. Thanks.

 > I don't have a problem with people using whatever layout they
 > want. I don't even object to having common layouts that are
 > documented and taught. What I can't accept is a software
 > framework that *requires* a particular layout to function.

That's fair enough. So what if a proposed common executable acted
like this:

   1. A configuration file may be specified on the command line.

   2. If no config file is named on the command line, then look
      for one in certain locations:

        /etc/<foo>.conf
        /usr/local/etc/<foo>.conf
        ~/etc/<foo>.conf
        ./etc/<foo>.conf

   3. <foo>.conf does basic process config (address, user/group,
      threads, etc.) and hands off to a second-layer config (be it
      paste.ini, zope.conf, etc.)

   4. The following are added to PYTHONPATH *if they exist*:

        ./lib/python2.x
        ./lib/python2.x/site-packages
        ./lib/python
        ./lib/python/site-packages

Such an executable would satisfy me. Would it be flexible enough
to meet your requirements?

chad