[Web-SIG] more comments on Paste Deploy

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Mar 9 15:14:40 CET 2007

On Mar 8, 2007, at 4:55 AM, Chris Withers wrote:

> Jim Fulton wrote:
>> On Mar 5, 2007, at 4:38 PM, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>>> Personally, I don't care for the Paste Deploy syntax -- frankly
>>> it's almost barbaric.  :)
>> I don't mean to pick on you, but I really *hate* comments like this.
>
> That's okay ;-)
>
>> criticism.  I'd appreciate it if we would all just ignore
>> statements  like this and, preferably, stop making them.
>
> ...but I don't think this is. I'd much prefer to hear people's gut
> feelings, even if they can't justify them.

That's OK over a drink.  In an open discussion it is very very
counter productive in my experience.

> It all gives indication. Yes, if only one person says "this sucks",
> then their opinion may not be worth changing the implementation
> for. However, if 50% of users said "this sucks", even if they
> couldn't explain why, that'd be something worth worrying about.

Sure, but how do you fix anything if they don't say why it sucks?
How do you make it better?  How do you even know if they are trying
to solve the same problem that you are? Or if they've actually tried
the tool your talking about.

>> The ini/config format is  pretty standard and, IMO, really quite
>> adequate.
>
> How does it handle nesting?

Using cross-section references.  So, rather than having an embedded
section, you have an option that refers to another section (or
collection of sections).

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org