[Web-SIG] more comments on Paste Deploy

Chad Whitacre chad at zetaweb.com
Thu Mar 8 04:36:11 CET 2007

James,

Thanks for weighing in.

 >> I'd love to get some input who know a lot about what makes
 >> deploying PHP apps so easy.
 >
 > In a past life I had a fair amount of experience working with
 > and deploying PHP, so I'll throw in my $0.02.
 >
 > It's worth pointing out that a lot of the "PHP is easier"
 > perception is largely just that -- a perception.

I don't have tons of PHP experience, but I did just finish
working on a pretty sizable job, and the deployment was anything
but easy. Instead it was a brittle amalgam of XML, Apache conf,
and nasty PHP abstractions. My impression is that PHP is easy for
simple cases (unpack WordPress and go), but quickly gets ugly
when you start dealing with frameworks.

So maybe Python is the opposite? Harder for the simple cases, but
more elegant in the more complicated scenarios.

chad