[Web-SIG] daemon tools

Sidnei da Silva sidnei at enfoldsystems.com
Wed Mar 7 16:44:17 CET 2007

On 3/7/07, Rodrigo Senra <rodsenra at gpr.com.br> wrote:
> And, I am sure you are aware of that, the service can also be managed
> by Python through win32all:

# snip

Yeah, sorry. I thought that was pretty obvious, but I realize it wasn't *wink*.

> For symmetry's sake in Windows a Python service manager could simply
> use SCManager API under the hood (through win32all) to get the job done,
> still keeping a consistent cross-platform modus operandi.

Your suggestion is indeed quite appealling. I feel sad for not having
thought of that before. zdaemon could be just a wrapper for SCManager
and that is certainly the way to go.

> |What I'm really interested in is in how the service would communicate
> |with the program being controlled. This is the painful part, and where
> |I think we need to work together to make sure it works on Windows and
> |on *nix platforms. You can surely count on me to discuss that part.
>
> One naive suggestion would be to wrap Unix signals and Windows Event
> Objects under a single signaling abstraction. If what you meant by
> "communicate" can be restricted to flag-waving (and *not* some general
> data structure IPC), then these mechanisms should suffice.

Yes, in the case of Zope that's mainly abstracting SIGINT, SIGHUP, etc.

> |As I mentioned on another thread, Zope uses 'signals' on *nix, and
> |'named events' on Windows, by means of the 'Signals' package in Zope.
> |We could possibly re-use that.
>
> Great, just checked that out. I think that is the way to go.

I hope that others can agree too.

--
Sidnei da Silva
Fax +1 832 201 8856     Office +1 713 942 2377 Ext 214